Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Watch where you stick your finger!

I am typing today with only 7 fingers (I don't count the thumbs since they only have one small task). So, forgive my typos. Wanted to show everyone this cool thing I made to help my finger get well. Also works well if someone needs a good lecture with a finger waved in their face. Here is a photo:


Pretty neat looking medical device, huh? Maybe I will sell them. I snipped the metal part out of a sheet of aluminum, which I bent around my finger. The foam padding is made from a foam paint brush. The purpose is to keep my finger from bending while it heals and, it works great!

Of course you ask ... why? Because Peggy told me I had to have stitches, or it would not get well. I showed her - taped it closed, made my medical device, and it is coming along nicely. I think it will be OK in a week or so.

As for the, how - a simple matter of an angle grinder that zipped through my glove like it wasn't there - skin on my knuckle offered little resistance - not sure the bone was faring any better but, I was awake by that time and decided to end the ordeal.

It was such a smooth cut it did not really hurt, at first. I continued grinding until I noticed my glove was getting wet. Boy, did I dread taking that glove off! So, a minute later, just before the knees buckle, I am lying on the floor with my feet elevated and Peggy going on about how I had to get to the VA and get this sewn up. So there I am in a semi-conscious fog, with the word "stitches" echoing in my head, and I come up with the tape-aluminum-foam paint brush medical device thingy. They say, "Necessity is the mother of invention."

No comments: