Friday, February 09, 2007

The Longest Embrace

The BBC story below has been in the news lately but, here it is in case you missed it. To me, it is one of the most touching photos I have ever seen. The human skeleton normally evokes images of violence, murder, B-grade horror movies, or Halloween. Here we have a beautiful image of a young couple locked in a 5,000 year embrace. Maybe I am outing myself as a sentimental old fool but, to me, it is just nice.

I find myself torn between a scientific curiosity to know what happened to these two, and desire to simply leave this image intact. Knowing they are just bones, and having no superstitious, spiritual beliefs, why would I care? I would prefer to say I don't but, for some reason, I do - shrug.


Ancient skeletons embracing
Archaeologists in Italy discovered a pair of 5000-6000 year old skeletons embracing.
The pair, almost certainly a man and a woman, are thought to have died young as their teeth were mostly intact, said chief archaeologist Elena Menotti...
"It's an extraordinary case," said Ms Menotti. "There has not been a double burial found in the Neolithic period, much less two people hugging - and they really are hugging," she told Reuters news agency.
Flint tools, including arrowheads and a knife, were also found alongside the couple. Link to the full BBC story.

No comments: