Sunday, October 29, 2006

10/28 - Arrival - St. Thomas

It has been a long day, but we are finally here. Arrived at the marina about 10:00 PM and immediately headed to the restaurant to eat and get a couple of rum and Cokes. Sat up talking to Bob and Gene until 1:30 AM.


It is so nice to be here and St. Thomas is really very beautiful. It makes all the effort of getting here worthwhile.

Did I mention I am not a good traveler? Here is a little account of post 9/11 airline travel that might give you some insight to my travel phobia. As of 4:00 PM this afternoon we had been traveling for 8 hours. As the crow flies, we have made about 400 miles toward St. Thomas. That works out to an average speed of 50 MPH.


Today, I was obliged to empty my pockets, remove my belt, and take off my shoes three times. About 1 oz. of peanuts, a Diet Coke, and a cup of coffee was it for the day. I have been ordered through a security maze by a bunch of fat ass, do nothing, federal welfare workers sporting a TSA patch. My laptop battery went dead because the airport terminals have put covers over all the electrical outlets just to screw with me! On the nearly 3 hour leg from Orlando to San Juan, American Airlines served one small cup of Coke and would not even let me have the whole can. Man, this is FUN!!!


Anyway, that air travel BS is over with and the trip home by sailboat will be much more better. Going to get a good night's sleep, do a run in the morning, at start checking this place out. By-the-way, I turned 55 today.


Until tomorrow .....




No comments: