Sunday, September 24, 2006

My Perfect Granddaughters

Allow me to introduce you to my Granddaughter, Noel. I wonder how many people can honestly say they have known someone who, from birth through adulthood, has never done anything wrong? This is no joke! Believe it or not, I was there for the birth, and next month will celebrate the 21st birthday of this perfect Granddaughter who has never done one single, solitary thing wrong in her entire life.

Now, when I say perfect there is no exaggeration, I MEAN perfect! Of course, it goes without saying that as a teenager she did not go out drinking, smoking dope, dating losers, or skipping class. But, it is also a fact that she never even talked back to her Mother, always made straight A's in school, always behaved as a perfect angel, and made her Grandparents proud at all times. This is someone who by age 10 fully understood the value of money and, as an adult has continued her conservative financial ways. Today she knows how to live on a budget, and is a good money manager. Now, very close to graduating from Sam Houston University, this hard working young lady has maintained a good GPA while working as many as two jobs at a time. What more can you say, she is perfect in every way.

I have three other Granddaughters who, at this point, are perfect as well but, we will just have to wait and see if they can go 21 years without doing one single thing wrong, as Noel has done. The fact is, I have only had the privilege of observing two of them for 4 years and one of them for 3 however, I have to say, they are off to really good starts. All they have to do is make it through the next 16 or 17 years without a single slip up ... piece of cake.

The parents and other family members can help these three Granddaughters in the same way Noel's parents and family members have helped her achieve her lofty standing; everyone needs to work at keeping Grandpa in a comfortable state of blissful ignorance. A few years ago one of the Aunts, Cindy to be exact, started telling us something when, I think, she noticed I was about to dive out of the moving car. She paused and said, "You don't want to hear this, do you?" I don't know what gave it away? Maybe it was the fingers stuck in my ears up to the second knuckle while singing, "NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA." Listen folks, Grandpa intends to stay in his "happy place" where all his Granddaughters are perfect little angels.

Now, don't get me wrong, you girls can talk to your Grandparents about absolutely anything. Just be sure you talk to Grandma first so she can tell Grandpa just what he needs to know. I have one request for the parents. As soon as the little ones are old enough to fully understand mushroom cultivation, please explain to them that dealing with Grandpa is exactly like raising mushrooms.

This post is about the Granddaughters but, I have not forgotten about the two Grandsons. But, come on guys, it's 21 years without a screw up. You know you can't do it and I know you can't do it, because I have been there. If you make it through one day, you are doing good! Besides, you are boys, just relax and have a good time.

Amber & Noel - Robin & Allysa with Grandma on right. Woo! Woo! Grandma

1 comment:

Da Balloonatic said...

Nice looking kids,except they don't have any balloons. Gonna have to fix that.
Have a fantastic voyage, bring home pics and stories for the winter blues in Austin.
Jim (Da Balloonatic)